Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The end (of work) is in sight



Since my last post on the day after Thanksgiving things have been going well. After taking it easy all day Saturday Geoff and I went to Jordan's furniture to buy a armchair for the nursery. This was pretty much the last item on my "baby items" spreadsheet and I was so excited to be getting a comfortable chair to curl up in during the middle of the night :) So we go to Jordan's and visit their outlet section, which I believe is new. We found a really great chair (last one in stock in the color we wanted) and it was also on sale. It is really pimp - is rocks, reclines, has heater and massage and cup holders as well. The arm also fold out to give more surface area which is quite cool. It was really quick and then we went to dinner at Fuddruckers and had some delicious burgers. Sunday Geoff finished the nursery and pulled of all the tape and cleaned the room. We then started to set it up, putting things in place. I am just so thrilled with how it came out - Geoff did a really great job painting and I am so happy to have everything pretty much ready for his arrival. Granted all I really needed was the bassinette and some diapers and clothes, but I feel so much better having his room a bit organized for the arrival. After that I went for a prenatal massage and Heather said my body felt great and my ankles and feet looked and felt much better than the previous weekend.

Monday was a big day bcs of our Dr. appts, so I took my time and took the bus and train into MGH. This way I could ride home with Geoff and not have to borrow a car and drive home alone. So I got there nice and early, had a cup of tea and then met Geoff in the lobby before heading up. We got there right on time (at 3:30pm) and then proceeded to sit in the waiting room till almost 5pm. The ultrasound technician was really nice though and she made a few 3D shots for us :) The results of the ultrasounds wer great - the baby looks just fine, there was plenty of fluid in there and he looked about 6 pounds which is average for right about now.

After that we had a Dr. appt. and my blood pressure was 126/90. So the 90 is borderline high. The Dr. (not our mid-wife) was very keen to discuss induction and said that the classic text book for mild preeclampsia is to induce at 37 weeks bcs the outcomes for the baby (not mentioning the mom mind you ;) were the same. Geoff and I naturally were not thrilled and expressed that. He ordered some more blood work (5 tubes) and everything has come back normal to date, except that I am still waiting on the liver and kidney tests which should be back tomorrow.

So the Dr. also said that modified bed rest means doing pretty much nothing - so that is exactly what I did on Tuesday. I set up an "office" in the guest bedroom and only got up for snacks, to pee, or to say hi to Geoff's parents when they dropped by. They were really sweet to drop by and check in - they also brought me Lawrence of Arabia DVD - so I def. plan on watching that in the next few days. Geoff was also very sweet and came home on his lunch break to see me. He could only stay for a few minutes of course but it was so great to see him :)

Last night Geoff cooked dinner (and delivered to to me in bed) and then he went and bought a new phone - the new Android :) He was so pumped - and I was so happy for him bcs he really deserves a treat - he has been working so hard and has wanted that phone for many months.

Also, I decided last night (and then talked to Geoff as well) that I wanted to stop working remotely as of the end of this week. It has been really incredible of Pama and my work to let me do so, but it is just not as relaxing as I need to be. So after we made that decision I felt a whole ton better and emailed Pama this morning to let her know.

I did speak to our Doula yesterday and she told me not to worry and that she thinks we have some wiggle room in regards to the induction bcs my levels are borderline and pretty inconsistant (in regards to the blood pressure). Also, my sister Colleen called and told me that she had the same thing with Brendan from weeks 35-38 and that they just monitored her and she went into labor naturally with him. That was really reassuring to hear - especially bcs we have similar constitution. My mom also called to check in and that was sweet. My dad also phoned to say that he liked his B-day gift :)


Today was a lighter day for work and I just focused on cleaning up my inbox and prepping for my leave. I only have 2 more deliverables due to Pama by the end of this week so I should be all set on that front. Tonight Geoff is going to drop by Whole Foods on the way home to pick up a few things and then we are going to head to Belmont. We need his parents to sign the health care proxy form for us (as witnesses) and then we can show then the photos from Monday and pick up a box of DVDs for me. I forgot to mention that during the ultrasound the woman took the cutest photo of the baby's bum cheeks - she even labeled it like that. Once we get the scanner and printer set up here I will try to post the photo :)

Well we are now at 36 weeks. I think I felt my first practice contractions today. It felt very similar to cramps that you get when you have your period. No painful, but just enough that you know it is happening. I am hoping that means the baby is making motions and we may be able to deliver him without artificially inducing him.

Well I must go get dressed - I showered a little while ago and now need to get dressed for our trip to Belmont.

1 comment:

  1. My Mom will be happy to hear you are taking it easier- she was worried about all tha tyou were trying to do! Ill keep up with my end of the phone tag, and hopefuly we will connect soon!

    ReplyDelete