Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baby Myth: Sleep when s/he sleeps

Today I have come to the realization that the oft-mentioned and well-intentioned saying to "sleep when the baby sleeps" is just not possible. Granted I do got back to sleep with him after his 7:30/8:00am bottle, but for the rest of the day I need to be awake and getting stuff done while he sleeps. Someone has to do the laundry, (online) food shopping, make formula, order diapers and supplies, feed themselves, wash and sanitize bottles, clean the cat litter box, pump to keep up the milk supply, and figuring out what is for dinner. If I slept when he slept - granted I would not have such bags under my eyes - but we would wake up hungry, with no bottles or food/formula, surrounded by dirty laundry and general chaos. I know none of this sounds life-ending, but when you have a newborn I think it really helps to have a bottle ready for the quickest possible feeding (and least amount of crying or tears) at 2:00am and the rest of the day. Don't get me wrong - as soon as I have someone her to help me (be it family or friends) I will maximize on that time and get what I need to get done so I can rest, but being awake for the day when he is sleeping is the only way I am able to maintain some sort of a household at the moment and most importantly keeping him happy and well-fed.

I have also decided today to keep this forum more of my baby-ranting world, my LinkedIn updates on my professional work, and my Facebook updates on mostly me - but with an occasional mention of the baby. I am hoping that will keep the 3 main aspects of my life segmented enough to best meet my audiences for each.

Back to baby news - Samuel had his first bath 2 nights ago - he truly did not enjoy it and I have no photos to show from it. He basically cried the entire time, and was only happy after wards when I was holding him in his towel.

We have had a great day so far today - probably bcs he has been sleeping for most of it ;) He has not been fussy at all and I have been able to do some laundry and stay current with my pumping schedule. These are not lofty goals, but make for a good day for me these days. Do note I have not showered or gotten dressed yet - and probably will not today, but you have to pick your battles ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment