Thursday, December 17, 2009

Home

So we were discharged from the hospital on Tuesday afternoon and made it home around 3:30pm. I had no idea how much I missed being home until I got back here and breathed a huge sigh of relief. It was so wonderful to have Samuel home and be in the comfort of our own things.

Wednesday my Mom came over to help me as Geoff went to work for the day. The day went really well and my Mom was getting me to do more things and be less dependent on other people for burping and changing his diapers. I know I could have been doing these things all along, but with the pain from the c-section, I was happy to have help earlier for these tasks. Now I am really not in much (if any pain) so I can do more things and be more independent. It is also a confidence booster to know that I can take care of him all by myself and handle anything that may come our way. If you think about it (besides medical emergencies) there is really only a small range of things that you need to be able to handle when you have a baby including, diaper changes, feeding, crying, getting peed on and fussiness. I am not making light of these things bcs they can be very tiring after hours upon hours, upon days of it, but it all seems pretty manageable at the moment.

Last night Mum, Dad, Jon, Christina and Nicholas all came over for dinner. We got Thai take-out and Dad took some photos of the babies, Mum with her grandsons, and then Christina and I with the boys. Nicholas gets cuter everyday and it is really amazing how much bigger he looks compared to Sam. Nicholas feels like a solid baby, like you could not break him, whereas Sam is still a skinny little chicken and can feel a bit fragile when you hold him.

I slept really well last night (almost 7 hours in total) and then Geoff stayed home today to help. It has been really great - this is Geoff and my first day together taking care of him at home. I went for a walk around the neighborhood today, in spite of the 20 degree temperature and caught up on my voice mails and calls that I needed to return. I also spoke to Lauren who may be moving in with us for a little while come the New Year :) It would be so wonderful to have her here - Geoff and I really enjoy her company.

Tonight we are having lasagna that Mum made for us and then hopefully to bed early(ish). Samuel has been gaining a very good amount of weight and gained 2.5 ounces in one day, when they expect (or like to see) them gain and ounce a day. Hopefully he will keep up the pace so he will be back to his birth weight at a week and one day (this Friday), which will also be his first pediatrician appt.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kelley! He is sooo cute! What fun it is to dress him in little outfits, I bet! I am glad you have minimal pain, it makes things so much easier. You are right, just roll with his rhythms- eating, napping and pooing (with a bit of crying in there) and try not to get much else accomplished for a few weeks, all will be good!

    ReplyDelete