Friday, December 4, 2009

Induction it is

So we had our Dr appts this morning and I almost did not get to leave the hospital. The baby looked perfect during the non-stress test but my blood pressure had some higher readings. So Anne Marie (our mid-wife) basically said that I would need to be induced sooner rather than later, meaning within days, not a week.

At first she wanted to send us over to the main hospital for more monitoring and blood work and also said that I should not be surprised if they keep me. She then went to consult with another Dr and came back to say that the Dr said that bcs my blood work from Monday had come back normal they would let me go home today, be monitored over the weekend and then need to schedule an induction for Wednesday. On one hand Geoff and I were relieved and happy that we could go home, but also not thrilled that we needed to schedule an induction. Hopefully the blood work from today and Sunday will be just fine and that we can hold off until Wed. night to check into the hospital.

It has been kind of a tough day in a sense, but I am also happy to have a "plan" in place so we at least know when we will be able to meet the baby. I always figured I would go early, but I never thought I would need to be induced. I was more concerned about going into pre-mature labor more than anything else, so this one really threw me for a loop.

I am happy I decided earlier this week to stop work today - that would have been a headache if not. So I have set up my out of the office and emailed everyone to confirm that today was my last day. I have been in the guest bed pretty much all day and am looking forward to Geoff coming home. I think we are getting Stonehearth tonight bcs I really want baked pasta and they are the healthiest option I know.

Everyone has been really great though with everything, I talked to my Mom, Dad, Meghan, Alex and Geoff's Mum about it all. It does help to talk about it - and I am trying to stay positive. I have had a few good cries so far, but I think it more from the overwhelming emotions and less about being upset about things going down this path. I def. never imagined the baby being born like this (with the full range of medical interventions) and I honestly feel worse for him than for me. I feel bad we need to take him out before he wants to and hope it is not traumatic for him.

It is really kind of crazy to think we are going to have a baby in under a week - I know it will be all worth it in the end and just need to keep focusing on meeting him and being done with all the medical stuff that will need to happen in between. Geoff has been really wonderful about everything - I know this is hard on him as well and that I will be leaning on him over the next few days and during the induction to help get me through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment