Thursday, November 26, 2009

A mild case of mild preclampsia

So yesterday proved to be a be an unexpectedly interesting day. I was planning on working remotely and then going with Mum to drop off my 24 hour urine sample around 9:15 am and ended up not getting back home until close to 4pm. Mum was really sweet to drive me in for the drop off, and then went to temporary parking bcs we figured it would only take a few minutes. So I get to Blake 14 and they check me in and then put me in triage. They thought it was kind of odd that I was told to drop off my urine with them and not at the outpatient place. So they decided bcs of this oddity I should be monitored for the next 40 minutes. So they hooked me up to the baby monitor and then also put me on the automatic blood pressure machine for readings every 10 minutes. I called Mum to tell her this could take a little bit so then she parked the car and came up to join me. So at first my blood pressure looked okay, but then the readings started to creep up a little (either on the top or the bottom). The best news is that the baby was just perfect, his heart beat was just fine and there was plenty of movements through out the day.

So they took off the baby monitor, but bcs of the few high readings on my blood pressure they decided to re-run my labs and have my liver and kidney checked out again. After a very long ordeal in extracting the tubes of blood (which involved routing around in my veins - yuck) the nurse needed to start a new line on my right arm bcs she fudged up the left so so badly and did not want them to reject it bcs of not having enough blood. So then they decided that I should wait for the blood work results, but not the urine. So then Mum and I ordered lunch and waited for the blood results. Low and behold the blood results took super long bcs they forgot to run one of them - so hours later they came back and said the blood was normal - thankfully, but that at this point I should just wait for the urine results bcs it would just be another hour. So then by about 2pm they said that my urine protein levels were slightly elevated (315 instead of a normal 300) so they needed to consult with a high risk Dr. After more waiting they said that I could go home, but need to be on modified bed rest until my ultrasound and Dr. appt. on Monday afternoon. So in the end I have a mild case of mild preclampsia and they need to see me twice a week and take my blood once a week until the baby comes. I was really not (and am still not) ready for them to talk about induction - the mid wife on duty yesterday mentioned it - bcs I know that is the only cure for severe preclampsia - but for mild - I would like to hold off on discussing that for now. Besides the nursery not being painted, I just want this baby to stay inside me for 2 more weeks - I do not care if I need to be on bed rest for 2 weeks to make that happen - I just want him to hit full term and come out at 37 weeks. If that wish cannot be granted then my aim is for 36 weeks so he won't have to spend much time (if any) in the NICU. Really quite amazing how your goals change so quickly. I just really hope that the preeclampsia does not get any worse and that we can make it to the finish line by the skin of our teeth - that would be quite the appropriate delivery for me - it aligns with the rest of my life ;)

Today we are headed to Colleen's for a T-day BBQ and then to Geoff's parents for dinner. It should be a great day overall and I am just going to try to take it easy and not east too much. It will be great to see Colleen's kids and also to have Nicholas and Christina's parents for the holiday as well. I need to figure out how to look presentable with the least amount of effort possible ;)

1 comment:

  1. Yipes, Kel. Ill call you later! Glad things went ok, Mom mom is always "on-call" I've updated her, but let me know if you have any questions or concerns you want to run by her. She says 2 more weeks would be ideal... and to get your christmas shopping done now... online!

    ReplyDelete