Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Winkle is No More



So Sam has gotten very good at grabbing things and then bringing them to his mouth.  A very good trick and all that landed us at Children's Hospital on Sunday night.  Here is a summary of our evening - Geoff went to pick up his Dad and brother at the airport and Lauren was coming home from Maine, so it was just me and Sam at home.  He was happy as (he ;) can be and was kicking away on his "play" changing pad (like in the photos above) and playing with his toy Winkle.  Yes, it is a funny name, but there it is ;)  So around 7pm I noticed that he was making very funny faces and that his tongue was looking like it didn't fit into his mouth properly.  So being a very over cautious Mom I started to think that he could be having an allergic reaction to something.  I was very concerned only bcs it was his mouth - it he had a rash on the rest of his body I would not care so much, but the mouth was pretty concerning to me bcs that can lead to his throat.  So I called Geoff (who was at the airport and dealing with a dead car battery) and then called 911.  I explained that my baby may be having an allergic reaction and within a few minutes we had a firetruck, ambulance and about 8 people looking at him.  I know it was not a crisis or emergency really, but I did not want to chance it with him.  So he and I ended up taking an ambulance ride to Children's for him to get checked out.  Lauren had arrived home just before the emergency personal came, so Jon and here drove in to meet us so we would have a car there.  Geoff met us there with Chris, as his Dad waited in the parking lot so the battery would not go dead on them again. 

After spending a few hours at the hospital is was basically decided that he had an allergic reaction to something and that we would probably never figure out what it was.  His lips also became swollen as well, but besides that he was in very good shape.  So basically a lot of hub bub for nothing, but I am happy that I played it safe and got him checked out. 

1 comment:

  1. Cripes Kel- what a scare! I'm glad the Sam-ster is ok, we will have to keep him from licking too many jelly beans I guess!

    ReplyDelete